About the GR11 Trail
GR11, other called “Ruta Transpireneica”, is a GR footpath (a series of marked long-distance trails in Europe) that goes through Spain and Andorra. It starts at the Cantabrian Sea, Atlantic Ocean, specifically at Cabo de Higuer located just a few kilometers before a larger city called Irun. Then it stretches 522 miles (840 km) across the Pyrenees mountain range on the Spanish side. It usually ranges between 1000-2500 m (3200-8200 ft) in elevation and goes through smaller cities once every 1-4 days. Finally, it ends at the Mediterranean sea, specifically at Cap de Creus. The GR11 trail is very similar to the HRP and GR10 hiking trails (which we’ve also covered in our maps) because they also cross the Pyrenees from the Atlantic Ocean to the Mediterranean Sea. The GR10 is very similar in a way that it also goes through mountain passes and small villages, only on the French side of the Pyrenees. The HRP is a bit different because it’s marked much more poorly, and it goes through the highest peaks of the Pyrenees and is considered a much more difficult trek. The GR11 is one of the most beautiful long-distance trails in Europe because it takes you through the wild, untouched mountain ranges of the Pyrenees.
Statistics About the GR11 (Ruta Transpireneica) Hiking Trail
- Start point: Irun, Spain
- End point: Cap de Creus, Spain
- Total distance: 522 miles / 840 km
- Total altitude gain/loss: 128 000 ft / 39 000 m
- Highest point: 9265 ft / 2824 m (Pic Superior de la Vaca)
- Countries crossed: Spain, Andorra (May enter France as well if taking a variation)
- Regions Crossed: Basque Country, Navarre, Aragon, Catalonia
- National Parks Crossed: Parque Natural Valles Occidentales, Ordesa y Monte Perdido National Park, Parque Natural Posets Maladeta, Parc Natural de l’Alt Pirineu
- Time to finish: Usually 30-50 days
- Record finish time: 16 days
- Best time to hike: June – September
Lucy Morris –
Fantastic print to remember our hike along the GR11 by. Really well designed and a superior quality to other prints we had seen. Great service too…thankyou!